Written and Fact Checked by: S. Zulfiqar
Now that cannabis is legalized and more popular than ever, you can explore many delicious edibles. If you’re ready to create your fun, control your dosages, and enjoy tasty treats, you should learn how to make weed cookies step by step. It’s easy to make mouth-watering cookies, so grab your apron and let’s get started.
Before You Start
Before we dig into how to make weed cookies, there are some basic preparations to cover when it comes to making THC Baked Edibles.
1. Decarboxylate Your Weed
The first step for anyone learning how to make weed cookies is decarbing your cannabis. Decarboxylation is the chemical process that happens when plant material is heated. In the case of cannabis, decarboxylation converts THCA into THC and CBDA into CBD. Without decarboxylation or decarbing, marijuana doesn’t contain psychoactive compounds.
Simply put, you have to heat your cannabis if you want to get high. Smoking a pipe or vape transmits enough heat to do the job. If you’re using pot in other methods like weed edibles, you’ll need to plan to decarb yourself. You can use an oven, bain-marie, or microwave for between 25 and 90 minutes.
2. Marijuana Butter or Cannabutter
You can use store-bought cannabutter for cookies, or you can make your own. To make cannabutter, simply infuse decarbed weed into melted butter for 45 minutes or longer.
3. Pick Your Flavour
Marijuana butter has a strong herbal flavour that can be overpowering if you’re not careful. Choose a cookie flavour that won’t conflict with the taste of pot. Other intense flavours like chocolate and gingerbread are ideal for pot cookies.
5. Baking Temperature
Temperature is an essential part of baking. Keep the oven at 176°C (350°F) or below so you don’t ruin your cannabinoids.
It’s easy to learn how to make weed cookies with our simple recipe. Scratch baking is simple, but you can also try a premixed cookie dough. Gather the following ingredients, and you’ll be enjoying delicious weed cookies in just 24 minutes.
- Large mixing bowl
- Medium mixing bowl
- Cookie sheet pan
- Baking sheets
- Shape moulds (optional)
- Mixer (optional)
This recipe is for 24 cookies. You can scale the amounts up if you want to make a bigger batch.
- 1¼ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup sugar
- ½ cup cannabutter
- ½ cup regular butter
- 1 large egg, beaten
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup chocolate chips or nuts (optional)
- 1 tbsp ground ginger or other flavours of choice (optional)
- Make your cannabutter if you’re not using store-bought.
- Preheat your oven to 176°C.
- Mix flour, baking soda and salt in the medium mixing bowl and set aside.
- Strain your melted cannabutter and regular butter into the large mixing bowl.
- Add sugar into the butter blend and beat well for 2-3 minutes till the mixture is light and fluffy.
- Add the egg and vanilla extract to the wet mix and beat well.
- Gradually fold dry ingredients into the large bowl containing wet ingredients as you continue to beat the mixture thoroughly. If you have a mixer, use it to achieve an even mix with zero lumps.
- When your dough comes together, fold in chocolate chips or your other flavour of choice.
- Using a tablespoon, scoop dough balls onto ungreased baking sheets. Make sure you space them evenly.
- Gently flatten dough balls.
- Bake in the oven for 9 to 11 minutes till they’re golden brown.
- Let cool on baking sheets for 2 minutes, then transfer to cooling racks.
- Serve or store.
- Now that you know how to make marijuana cookies, you can keep your goodies in the fridge for a week. You can also freeze them for up to 8 weeks in an airtight bag in the freezer.
Not every kitchen is set up for a gourmet chef. If you want to learn how to make weed cookies or how to make pot cookies, but you don’t have an oven, check out this simple, no-bake recipe.
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup cannabutter
- 4 tbsps cocoa powder
- ½ cup peanut butter
- 3 cups instant oatmeal
- 1 coffee spoon of vanilla or cinnamon extract
- In a saucepan, mix white sugar, cocoa powder, cannabutter, milk and heat for 30 seconds.
- Remove saucepan from heat. Add peanut butter, oatmeal and flavour.
- Make dough balls on baking sheets and flatten them.
- Let freeze or pop in the microwave for 5 minutes at a medium setting (this improves the texture and flavour more than just freezing).
Enjoy Your Cannabis Cookies
Now that you know how to make weed cookies in all steps, you can enjoy delicious edible marijuana whenever you’d like. As an alternative, you can buy baked weed edibles online at dispensaries like DailyMarijuana.co. Eating cannabis edibles can deliver a more robust experience that takes longer to hit. Eat one cookie at a time and wait at least two hours before having a second. It’s also a good idea to pass on alcohol and other substances when you’re indulging in THC edibles. Stay safe and enjoy these delicious cookies with friends!
- Department of Justice. (2019, October 17). Cannabis Legalization and Regulation. Available at: https://www.justice.gc.ca/eng/cj-jp/cannabis/
- WebMB. (2020). CBD vs. THC: What’s the Difference? Available at: https://www.webmd.com/pain-management/cbd-thc-difference#1
- Carter, A. (2019, August 9). How Long Do Edibles Take to Kick In?. Healthline. Available at: https://www.healthline.com/health/how-long-do-edibles-take-to-kick-in